Bay Area: Sarabjt Dhundha, a controversial missionary, delivered provocative sermons ridiculing Bani of Guru Gobind Singh and Sikh traditions for past several years. This finally resulted in massive protests during his California tour in April 2016.
Finally, on April 20th, a meeting was arranged between Bhai Sarbjit Singh Dhundha and Panthic Singhs.
Bhai Dhundha’s arrived about three and half hours late for the meeting. While the meeting was originally scheduled to begin at 3:00 pm, it did not start till after 6:30 pm due to the delay in arrival of Bhai Dhunda. It was due to the time lost because of this delay in arrival, that several controversies raised by Bhai Dhunda and other issues could not be discussed and still remain pending.
- Accepting that the three Banis namely Jap Sahib, Tav Prasad Swaiye and Chaupai Sahib are indeed compositions of Guru Gobind Singh Sahib. These Banis are a part of the daily Nitnem of a Sikh and are also read during preparing Khande di Pahul by the Panj Piaray.
- He accepted that his using disrespectful language for the Sri Dasam Granth Sahib during a recent interview in Canada was due to a ‘slip of tongue’. He initially denied that he had used any derogatory language, but confessed upon seeing the video clip of that interview he had done in Canada. He was then asked to refrain being disrespectful to the Granth of the Tenth Master in future.
- He also accepted that it is a recommended practice for the Sikhs to do Nam Simran by repeating the Gurmantra at Amrit vela, as described in Sikh Rehat Maryada.
Points that still remain to be resolved include:
- Bhai Dhundha’s remarks in regards to the Sarbat Khalsa held in Nov 2015. In one of the interviews he had mentioned that he, not only, did not consider it a Sarbat Khalsa but also stated that the 6-7 lakh individuals who participated in that historic meet was a crowd of people gathered from the roadside and they were not Sikhs but followers of Deredars and under influence of Radhasoamis. He still needs to apologize for these insulting remarks to soothe the feeling of the Sikhs
- His continued sarcastic remarks against Sikh traditions and history which dates back to the period of the Guru Sahiban.
- He needs to clarify his position about and continued close association with excommunicated persons like Darshan Singh Ragi and Inder Singh Ghagha etc.