Chandigarh, Punjab: Famous Punjabi writer Jasawant Singh Kanwal, Hari Singh Dilbar and Panditrao Dharennavar met Chandigarh Administrator. Team met Governor of Punjab Shri Shivraj Patil and requested him to implement Punjabi as official language of Chandigarh Administration. They also thanked Shivraj Patil for taking good steps to write sign boards in Punjabi also now a days in Chandigarh. They requested Shivraj Patil to make Punjabi subject a compulsory in school level till tenth class and make Punjabi as official language of Chandigarh Administration. Research report was also submitted to Shivraj Patil which was conducted by Panditrao Dharennavar, assistant Professor, Govt college Chandigarh on position of Punjabi language in Chandigarh.
His Excellency Shivraj Patil was happy to meet senior and famous writers like Jaswant Singh kanwal and assured to take all necessary steps and he also assured that all the works will be done not only in Hindi and English but also in Punjabi. His Excellency Shivraj Patil listened to the requests and had smiling photo with senior Punjabi writers. The delegation consisted of different religious members. Bishu Chakma from Budhism, Fakiruddian from Muslim community, Hari Singh Dilbar, a Hashy Kavi from Sirsa who has recited Punjabi poems in front of all the Prime Ministers since 1956 on the occasions of Republic Day and Independence Day.
OFFICIAL DOCUMENT SUBMISSION
His Excellency Shivraj Patil ji
Governor of Punjab and Administrator of Chandigarh Administration
Sub: Request to implement Punjabi as official language in Chandigarh Administration and submission of results of Independent research report.
With due respect we would like to thank you for giving order to write all the sign boards in Punjabi language also . It is because of your strong initiatives Punjabi language is getting its due respect but Punjabi is not considered as official language in Chandigarh Administration. We sincerely request you to implement Punjabi as official language in Chandigarh Administration.
Sir ,I would like to submit my Independent Research report on position of Punjabi Language in Chandigarh which has very interesting results which are as follows;
An open ended independent research was conducted to know the position of Punjabi language in Chandigarh city by Panditrao Dharennavar, Assistant Professor, PG Govt College, Sector-46 Chandigarh. Total number of 606 samples were collected from Teachers,students, engineers, doctors, advocates,Chandigarh police constables, tailors, petrol pump workers, taxi drivers, residents of Dhanas, Hello Majra and shop keepers of Krisna market, sector 41. Teachers included from DAV 10,SD college, 32, MCM college 36, Dev Samaj college, 45 , Guru Gobind Singh college, 26 . Students included from PU, SD college 32, Dev Samaj, 45, MCM 36, Guru Gobind Singh college 26, DAV 10, Jet king 34, Air hostess, 34.
The findings are as below
- 81.35 Percent of people said Yes to learn Punjabi language when asked whether you want learn Punjabi language.
- 60.06 percent of people want to have Punjabi as official language in Chandigarh Administration.
- 69.80 percent of people are happy with Public sign boards are being written Punjabi also now a days.
- 82.17 Percent of people wants to have three language formula in Chandigarh Administration ( English , Hindi. Punjabi)
- Only 34.81 Percent of people read Punjabi Magazines and news papers.
- Only 31 .02 Percent of people subscribe Punjabi news papers at home.
- When asked how many Public libraries are there in Chandigarh none of the respondents said the right answer.
- When asked why they want to learn Punjabi language 50 percent of respondents said it is good to hear and sweet language.
- when asked why they want to have Punjabi as official language in Chandigarh Administration, 60 percent of people said Chandigarh is capital city of Punjabi therefore Punjabi should be official language of Chandigarh Administration.
Some Hidden Findings
- While researcher was on the field many felt Urdu also should be given due respect in Chandigarh Administration.
- Researcher came across harsh reality of Punjabi language in Chandigarh Administration. The FIRs filed by Chandigarh Police from 1st Feb 2014 to 5th Feb 2014 were written in English and Hindi only. None of them was written in Punjabi.
- It was found that many words in FIRs were from Persian which were used in British Raj. It was found that proper Hindi was not written therefore it is insult to Hindi, National language.
- Refresher gave request letter to all Govt colleges to write sign boards in Punjabi also. Even after 3 months of request, no college has come up with sign boards in Punjabi.
- None of the schools sign board is written Punjabi even though Home Secretary directions.
- Punjabi language is not compulsory after 8th class in the schools.
Question to be asked
If South India can have three language formula then Why can not Chandigarh Administration have three language formula in real sense where students can study Punjabi till 10th class so that they will be eligible to apply for job in future.
Sir, it is our humble request to implement Punjabi as official language in Chandigarh Administration so that common people will understand the daily activities of Administration. We sincerely request you to take action on some of the findings and hidden findings of this independent research. We honestly hope that there will be development of language if you can take this step regarding above mentioned results.