New Delhi: The Central Government today announced an additional Rs 5 lakh in compensation each for the families of 3,325 persons killed in the 1984 Sikh genocide.
This is the third tranche of cash compensation for the victims and comes 30 years after the genocide. At least 3,325 persons, including 2,733 in Delhi, were killed in the communal riots triggered by the assassination of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi by her bodyguards on October 31, 1984. Sikhs comprise around 6 per cent of Delhi’s population.
The order for additional compensation was passed by Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who took the decision after a meeting that discussed compensation for civilian victims of communal, terrorist or Maoist violence.
The first compensation was announced soon after the riots when the affected families were paid Rs 20,000 each. In Bhajan Kaur vs Delhi Administration case, Justice Anil Dev Singh of the Delhi High Court in his 1996 judgment had enhanced the compensation from Rs 20,000 to Rs 3.5 lakh and directed that the balance amount of Rs 3.3 lakh be paid to the families of those killed within four months. But most victims never received the money because of technical glitches.
In 2006, the Congress-led UPA government had given a compensation of Rs 3.5 lakh each to families of the victims after the Justice GT Nanavati Commission report in February 2005 recommended additional compensation and jobs for family members affected by the genocide.
At least 10 commissions of enquiry and committees have so far gone into the 1984 anti-Sikh genocide.
The Nanavati Commission — the last one on the subject — found there was a colossal failure in the maintenance of law and order in Delhi during the genocide.
It expressed dissatisfaction with the then Lt Governor, PG Gavai, and the then Police Commissioner, SC Tandon.
Third package for victims
* This is the third set of cash compensation announced for the victims. The first one of Rs 20,000 each was given soon after the riots and the second of Rs 3.5 lakh each was given by the UPA government in 2006
* The compensation, which will cost the government Rs 166 crore, is likely to be disbursed in the next few weeks, an official said
Work on memorial from Nov 1: DSGMC
Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee president Manjit Singh (GK) on Thursday said the committee will start the construction of a memorial to the victims of the 1984 genocide on the premises of Gurdwara Rakab Ganj Sahib on November 1. The foundation stone of the memorial was laid in June 2013. Punjab CM Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal and Home Minister Rajnath Singh, have been invited for the ceremony. TNS
It is a concrete and meaningful step towards relief for the victims of the 1984 massacre of innocent people by goons of the Congress and the then Congress-sponsored government in the country — Parkash Singh Badal, Punjab Chief Minister
The NDA government has demonstrated that it is sensitive to issues related to Sikhs — Tarlochan Singh, ex-chairman, National Commission for Minorities
Compensation for 1984 genocide victims is a good step. But it is important they get justice. AAP govt announced SIT. Govt should notify it now — Arvind Kejriwal, AAP leader
Source: The Tribune