Washington D.C., US: SALDEF is proud to announce the roll-out of our historic new media initiative on behalf of Sikh Americans. This nationwide initiative will harness the power of digital and traditional mainstream channels to educate the U.S. media and public about Sikh Americans and the Sikh faith.
Specifics of the initiative are exciting and well underway! Among them:
- Conduct first-ever nationwide public perception assessment of Sikh Americans
- Recruit a national Speakers Bureau comprised of leading Sikh American voices
- Promote Sikh Americans with content expertise in media opportunities
- Establish a rapid response plan to leverage media effectively and efficiently
Over Columbus Day weekend, SALDEF’s inaugural Speakers Bureau received media training at NBC News headquarters in Washington, D.C. These leading Sikh American voices –including accomplished doctors, educators, technologists, business people, journalists and an acclaimed entertainer! — learned from media veterans with decades of expertise in network news, political campaigns and corporate communications about best practices in media interactions and presentation.
Highlights of the Speakers Bureau training:
- One-on-one on-camera training by a former national correspondent for NBC News
- Communications exercises led by former press secretary for Vice President Al Gore
- Messaging guidance in communicating with media and non-Sikh audiences
- Lessons learned from recent Sikh American rapid response scenarios
- Personal welcome by NBC’s Meet the Press host David Gregory, and live in-studio viewing of the show including Sens. Dick Durbin (D-IL.) and Rob Portman (R-Ohio)