Pilgrim died of poisonous substance: SGPC probe

Amritsar, Punjab: The pilgrim who died after partaking ‘langar’ outside a gurdwara in the city on Diwali had consumed a poisonous substance, the probe conducted into the incident by the SGPC (Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee) has found out.

SGPC assistant secretary Sukhdev Singh Bhurakohna, who conducted the probe, today submitted the report to committee secretary Manjeet Singh. The report mentioned that Amarjeet Singh, hailing from Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh, died after consuming a poisonous substance. The post-mortem report too had cited toxic ‘langar’ even as the exact reason would be known after viscera examination.

Bhurakohna said statements of the victim’s family members, and of those who were taken ill are partaking ‘langar’, had been recorded. Amarjeet’s relatives said they had eaten ‘Karhi Chawal’ and had doubts it was laced with “something suspicious”. Bhurakohna has also put forth his recommendations to avert any such incident in future. He said the SGPC should frame guidelines for setting up ‘langar’ around the Golden Temple. He has recommended the SGPC should maintain record, including photographs, of the organisers as well as sewadars of these ‘langars’, besides monitoring the place where the ‘langar’ was prepared.

It has also been recommended that ‘sewadars’ and pilgrims involved in preparing ‘langar’ should be issued separate badges.

Source: The Tribune

%d bloggers like this: