Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal president and Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal has directed the SGPC to prepare a plan within a month to implement the agenda set by him for the religious body.
Sukhbir has directed SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar and the committee executive members to focus entirely on the propagation of Sikhism and to stop the business of setting up schools, colleges and other educational institutions.
Sukhbir has said that it is government’s job to set up schools/colleges/universities and hospitals and not that of the SGPC. However, he has asked the SGPC to fund the education of bright students, especially those who follow the Sikh way of life.
Karnail Singh Panjoli, SGPC executive member, who was present at the meeting held here on August 15, said Sukhbir wanted the SGPC to concentrate on preaching the Sikh religion and to help people get rid of social evils such as drug addiction.
“The Deputy CM has asked the SGPC president to make arrangements for air-conditioned buses for people residing in villages to take them to the Golden Temple and other Sikh shrines and to arrange for their overnight stay at these places,” said Panjoli.
The SAD president told the SGPC to set up a world-class museum over a piece of land near the Golden Temple in Amritsar and to take the help of experts for lighting up the Golden Temple complex.
He suggested the display of weapons, golden spades, golden canopy and other artefacts kept in the temple Toshakhana in bullet-proof glass enclosures.
Sukhbir pointed flaws in the functioning of the SGPC. He said a large chunk of land should be bought near Amritsar for a “serai” with 2,000 rooms for pilgrims.
He suggested adequate parking space at the serai and an auditorium to screen documentaries on the history of the Golden Temple.
Panjoli said the SAD president would meet the SGPC executive members next month for a feedback.
Sukhbir issues do’s and don’ts
- Stop the business of setting up schools/colleges
- Focus entirely on propogating the Sikh faith
- Help people get rid of social evils such as addiction
- Fund the education of bright students, especially who follow the Sikh way of life
- Arrange for AC buses to take people to the Golden Temple and other Sikh shrines
- Set up a world-class museum near the Golden Temple
- Take help of experts for lighting up the Golden Temple complex
- Display arms, golden canopy and other artefacts in bullet-proof glass enclosures at the Golden Temple
- Buy land near Amritsar for a ‘serai’ for pilgrims
Source: The Tribune